Buying a New Home? Why You Should Have Us Inspect Your Electrical System
Whenever homebuyers purchase a new house, they usually pay to have a home inspection completed. Home inspectors have a full plate of items they check. This includes HVAC, plumbing, the roof, foundation, windows, doors, walls, insulation, etc. It also includes the electrical system, but very few home inspectors are certified electricians. That’s why we believe you should have one of our certified electricians at AGK Electric inspect your electrical system when you buy a new home.
Here are five more reasons why you should have us inspect your electrical system:
- All outlets (receptacles). We will physically inspect every outlet to ensure they have a ground, are not cracked or broken, and are the proper type for the area. This includes making sure you have GFCI outlets in rooms where they are needed such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and garages.
- We make sure your wiring is safe and does not overload a circuit.
- Service panel. Not only will we inspect your panel to make sure it can handle your current load, but we will check to see if it can handle any expansions in case you plan on adding a new room, patio, or other area that will require additional electricity.
- An electrical inspection will help you negotiate price. If your contract has contingencies built into it, you can try to negotiate the price of repairs into the purchase price or request the seller to pay for the repairs. This avoid expenses out of your pocket later.
- Better safe than sorry. In the end, an inspection of your electrical system is crucial for safety concerns. Preventing electrical fires and accidental electrocution is vitally important. You also want to ensure your new home can handle the load of the appliances and equipment you will bring with you. Getting an inspection ahead of time ensures that.
Depending on the size of the home, an inspection takes between 1-3 hours to complete. If you are buying a new home here in the Triangle area, contact us at AGK Electric to schedule your home electrical inspection and have that peace of mind you need when making your purchase.